232 South Capitol. The home was built in 1885-1886, when Mason Chatterton moved to Lansing.
Mason D. Chatterton, died suddenly at his home at 232 South Capitol Avenue on October 27, 1903. He was 68 years old, and his death was a shock to the community. Mason had been in excellent condition his entire life, but in late 1902 he began to suffer periodical bouts of ill health. In early October 1903, Mason attended a stockholders meeting of the Farmers’ Bank in Mason, Michigan. He caught a cold while traveling to the meeting, two weeks later his health had not improved and he became noticeably weaker. On the advice of his doctor, Mason decided to remain at home and work in an attempt to hasten his recovery. After ten days he seemed to be recuperating, but late in the evening of October 26, 1903, he became violently ill and passed away suddenly from pneumonia. Mason Chatterton was born in Mt. Holly, Rutland County, Vermont on August 3, 1838. His parents Daniel and Betsey (née Jewett) Chatterton, moved their family to Michigan in 1851, stopping briefly in Oakland County, before purchasing property in Ingham County. The Chatterton farm in Meridian Township was 72 acres in size and was located in the north east corner of Hagadorn Road and Grand River Avenue, with additional lands below Grand River Avenue reaching the Red Cedar River. According to many sources, young Mason was the first student admitted to the Michigan Agricultural College where he studied for three years, he then attended the State Normal School in Ypsilanti, for one year before he enrolled in the University of Michigan to study law. After Mason’s graduation from the University of Michigan, in March 1861, he was admitted to the state bar. Mason was a man on a mission, he was the town clerk of Meridian, selected as an Ingham County Court Commissioner, 1864-69; elected as an Ingham County Probate Judge, 1873-81; after leaving politics Mason became Director and President of the Farmers Bank of Mason. He practiced law in Okemos, Mason and Lansing where he moved in 1886. He was also an accomplished write, he wrote, Law and Practice in the Probate Courts and Immortality from the Standpoint of Reason, which was published by his wife after his death. On June 2, 1864, Mason married Miss Mary A. Morrison, who was the daughter of Norris and Jane (née Homer) Morrison. The couple had one child, Floyd M. Chatterton. Daniel’s wife Mary A. Chatterton passed away on April 29, 1923, at the age of 87. The home at 232 South Capitol was designed by the architectural firm of Mason & Rice.
The Wolverine Insurance Building soon after its completion.
So, what happened to the Chatterton home, well it was torn down in 1924 and replaced by the Wolverine Insurance Building. Accident Fund acquired the building in 1950 and moved into the old Wolverine Insurance building in January 1951. Surprisingly the oldBuilding is still standing, the façade is hidden behind metal panes that grace the entire structure at 232 S. Capitol. I am not sure what to make of this building, on the one had in many ways the exterior is disappointing and seems dated, while on the plus side the multi-storied atrium is wonderful. Today the building is the home to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan.
For more information on Mason Chatterton see LJ 10/28/1903, SR 10/28/1903, Past and present of the city of Lansing and Ingham county, Michigan, Cowles page 137ff and Michigan Pioneer and Historical Collections P 763 Vol 34 1904
 Today Eastern Michigan University
 The architects were Edwyn A. Bowd and Orlie J. Munson see LSJ 10/24/1925
 See LSJ 3/3/1986 and LSJ 3/15/1988
© Lost Lansing 2021