Woodcock Terraces

All posts tagged Woodcock Terraces

This is just an FYI. Lost Lansing is changing, there may be a new look in the future. Some posts have been removed and will reappear in a Lost Lansing Book with some new stories.

The Woodcock Terraces at 309-317 N. Capitol. Note the dirt street and the hitching posts along the road.

The Woodcock Terraces were one of the first of townhomes built in Lansing, they were constructed in May of 1886 by David F. Woodcock. (SR 5/31/1886) The better-known Barnes’ Flats were built in 1887. Woodcock was a long-time resident of Lansing who was in construction business with George H. Kneal. The firm of Woodcock and Kneal handle many of the paving contracts in the city, for example, the company was hired to pave Washington Avenue and Capitol Avenue. Woodcock personally handled the construction of the Woodcock Terraces. But just who was the architect remains a mystery. There are several possibilities; Darius Moon, Israel Gillett, Lemuel Dwight Grosvenor, Claire Allen, James or William Appleyard.

You can see in the above image the size of Woodcocks residence, note how it extends to the rear.

The Woodcock Terraces have an appealing appearance. The multiple story bay window and the elevated entrance porch are all the traits one would find in a typical townhouse. The building was constructed of brick with limited windows on the north and south end. The Woodcock Terrances consisted of four separate units with the north unit be twice the size of the other three units. That is because 317 (311) N. Capitol was the residence of David F. Woodcock. After Woodcock’s death the home was split to create another unit. The Woodcock Terraces were torn down in 1966 when city block 84 was cleared. The great irony is that the city of Lansing tore down 27 townhouses when they cleared the block. Today the block sits effectively empty with the empty Oliver Towers as the only building left on the block. So, Lansing great plan of redeveloping the area came to naught.

 

The terraces in the 1940s observe the lack of windows on the south side of the structure.

David F. Woodcock was born in Phillipston, Massachusetts on June 4, 1829 to Tisdale and Patty (née Baker) Woodcock. David first settle in Adrian, Michigan in about 1859. Just when David came to Lansing is a bit of a mystery. He is listed as a Notary in Lenawee County in 1867 while just two years later he is appointed a notary in Ingham County. David’s obituary mentions that he came to Lansing to take a position with the auditor general’s department. Later he was in business with George Kneal and was one of the founders of the Central Michigan Savings Bank. On June 1, 1851 David married Miss Ann Eliza Reed in New Hampshire. The couple would have one child, Edward F. Woodcock. It was on a visit to his son’s home in Minneapolis that David passed away at the age of 77. His body was returned to Lansing for burial at Mt. Hope Cemetery. (SR 11/3/1902 and LJ 11/4/1902)

Coming Soon the Gillett Townhouses

©Lost Lansing 2019